Monday, June 16, 2008

Month of May

Well I know it has been a long time since I have put a post out so this may be a long one. Lets start by recapping the month of May.

The month of May started out on a sad note. My grandmother, Jessie Heavilin, passed away on the 2nd. She is certainly going to be missed by many and I was just one of the fortunate ones to spend time with her during her last few days. That is something that I will hold onto for the rest of my life.

On May 6th, my youngest nephew, Cody turned 6! It was his golden birthday and he had told his Aunt Sissy (A.K.A. me) and Uncle Matt that he wanted a bow for his birthday. Now not any aunt and uncle would buy their 6 yr. old nephew a bow and arrow but Cody has a little bit bigger piece of my heart. You see, I got to share in the joy of his arrival into this world! Yep, I was in the delivery room with Matt and Rebecca and I even got to cut the cord. I think my brother was just in shock even though he and Rebecca had been through this twice before. So back to the gift. There is no need to freak out as we didn't get Cody the Dream Season bow as we knew that his interests could change as most kids' do at his age. We got him a youth starter bow that came with 3 arrows. So Matt, go get a target so the boy can shoot!

Next came Mother's Day. The weather was kind of crappy (rainy and windy)but we continues with our plans to go to Bloomington to put flowers on my mom's grave like we do every year since I can remember. Matt backed the car out of the garage while I went to cut some fresh lilacs off of our bushes. Lilacs were my mom's favorite! We got the kids situated in the car and started to pull forward when BAM. I looked out the back window and all I saw was the portable basketball hoop sliding off the trunk of my car!! I was mad to put it nicely. Matt stopped the car and we got out to survey the damage. There was a chunk taken out of the spoiler on the trunk lid as well as some scratches but not enough that would be worth turning it into the insurance company. So we decided that we would pick up some touch up paint in Bloomington after we went to the cemetery. Matt & I got back into the car and he turns to me and says, "Happy Mother's Day!"

May 14th, my brother-in-law's birthday. Matt's younger brother, Brad, turned 29. For those of you that know Brad or Mark as his close friends call him (long story), is very laid back and took his birthday as just another day. That all may change next year!

May 15th, my oldest nephew Trevor turned 11. WOW, how time flies!! I have to say that he is now at the age where he just wants gift cards or money which is fine. We got him a gift card to a store he wanted so he could get whatever he wants when he wants. He is pretty quiet anymore so I kind have to bug him to get things out of him. I think his Aunt Sissy embarrasses him! Again I am referring to myself as Aunt Sissy because Trevor started calling me that when he was little because Christie was too much for him to sound out. And so it has just stuck with each of the kids. It reminds me of when I was little because my brother couldn't say my name and it came out as Bippie and to this day one of my uncle's calls me Bip.

Next we reach Memorial Day weekend. Matt, the kids and I attended a cookout at my in-laws that Saturday. Now I am sure most of you are thinking big deal, a cookout, so what. Well this wasn't just any cookout, this was the day that Brad, my brother-in-law, proposed to his girlfriend Wendi. Wendi's brother, father, and his girlfriend and her daughter where also there. All of us pretty much knew that Brad was going to pop the question except for Wendi and her dad. Don't go dogging Brad for not asking Wendi's dad if it was okay that he ask her to marry him because he had talked with her dad a while back and gotten the A-OK. Her dad just didn't know when it would happen. So after we all had our bellies full and Wendi's dad was almost ready to leave or so Wendi thought, Brad came out of the garage and walked toward Wendi. She didn't turn around for the longest time because she thought he was messing with her. With the video camera rolling, Wendi finally turned around and Brad got down on one knee and ask for her hand. There wasn't a dry eye at that cookout. Wendi said YES and a few other words that I won't publish but she was thrilled. To make it even more special it was Wendi's mom's birthday. Wendi's mom had passed away earlier this year from a sudden heart attack. Brad didn't even know it was her mom's birthday. When Wendi told me this, I got chills and I told her that this just makes her mom's birthday even more special. Boy, God works in mysterious ways!!!

So that brings us to June. This month has started out pretty calm. Right now our household is pretty quiet. We will be getting out the 4th of July decorations this week as Saybrook's Freedom Festival will be at the end of the month!

I can't believe that this year is almost half over!!!!!!

No comments: