
Does anyone remember where they were 10 years ago today? I sure do. I was in the hospital with a healthy baby girl! Yep, 10 years ago today, Harley made her arrival into this world. I think what remains in my mind the most is what happened at home before we went to the hospital.
Matt was on second shift and got home around 12:30am. He went to bed around 1am. I know that night our blue heeler, Buster, was by my side of the bed the entire night. I think he knew something was going to happen. Anyway, I can remember being up and walking through contractions. In my mind they were just Braxton Hicks, I wasn't in labor. So this went on for about an hour and I finally woke Matt up. I said "I think I need to go to the hospital". He asked me if I was sure and I told him YES! Then he said "Let me call my mom and make sure we should go." WHAT! was my initial reaction. Now I have to give him some slack because he had very little sleep. I can't remember exactly what Sylvia told him besides, "Get her to the hospital now!"
We arrived at the hospital (trip was only 5 minutes). You have to picture it, a woman 9 months pregnant in a Ford pickup truck that sat so high you had to jump in it pulled up to the ER door at Gibson Hospital. Matt comes over to my door and says, "Well come on, get out". I couldn't even walk!!! He ran and got Shelly Hood and a wheelchair. Thankfully my doctor was already there at the hospital due to another one of his patients being in labor. They got me back to the "green" labor room, some of you older folks may remember that room before the remodel. They checked me to see how far I was dilated and they said, "You're at an 8". I told them that I need some drugs and to my surprise they said that I was too far along to have any. So I pushed for about 2 1/2 hrs and Harley arrived. The nurses were more worried about Matt than me because he looked as white as a ghost! To this day we still talk about Matt calling his mom.
Matt got to carry Harley to the nursery. The OB wasn't that busy so I got a room to myself. There was an empty bed in the room so Matt laid on it to take a short nap. This bed didn't have any sheets or blankets on it, so when my Aunt Bev (who works at the hospital) came to see us, she covered Matt up.
So now 10 years later, I reminisce and try to remember who little she was. I told Harley this morning that she is now in double digits and I asked her if she felt old. Harley said "Nope" and just giggled. That's my girl!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY HARLEY!
No comments:
Post a Comment